Monday, April 12, 2010

Busy Person's Retreat - Day One

Good Morning!
It was so late last night I wasn't able to blog about the first day of the retreat.

The group met for dinner (tacos...yum) to get to know everyone and the three different retreat guides, or spiritual companions.  Based on the conversation for dinner, you picked your guide after dinner.  There was then an orientation with the whole group.

We talked about how the retreat worked and the six P's for listening to God (prepare, place, posture, passage, pause, pray).  Basically it is a 30-30 retreat. You spend 30 minutes in prayer and 30 minutes with your spiritual companion.  We then practiced reading with the Scriptures using the Gospel for Sunday.

We then met with our spiritual companion to organize the rest of the week.  My spiritual companion, Sister C, created a booklet for us with assignments, reflections and passages for the entire week.  However, this could change based on the direction of our talks.

My assignment for Day 1:  Jeremiah 29:11-14  God apparently has plans for me.  I really wish he would tell me what they are....

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me. 
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, 
and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. 
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you and 
I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road 
although I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always 
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death, 
I will not fear, f
or you are ever with me 
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
- Thomas Merton

No comments:

Post a Comment