Sunday, January 9, 2011

St. John the Baptist - Gildehaus

To celebrate the Baptism of the Lord, I traveled out to Gildehaus to visit St. John the Baptist for the 10:30 am Mass.

This is a lovely little country church that was recently renovated.  Today's Mass was the Knights of Columbus Mass, so all of the roles (except for the priest) were filled by Knights of Columbus.  There were quite a few in attendance.  Before Mass, the Rosary was recited.

The music was accompanied by an organ.
Opening:  On Jordan's Bank
Offertory:  Come to the Water
Communion:  Behold the Lamb
Closing:  Holy God We Praise Thy Name

Mass was celebrated by a visiting priest from New Jersey who retired to Florida and goes around soliciting donations for Food For the Poor.  Father started Mass admonishing us to be more responsive and making snow jokes.  I'll spare you the snark about the over 20 minute homily to solicit donations.  Father used Eucharistic Prayer for Various Needs IV:  Jesus, the Compassion of God.  There were bells.

The parishoners seemed friendly and there were lots of large families.  The nice man sitting next to me thought I had a beautiful voice. =)

Pictures:
St. John the Baptist 

Shrine

View From the Back Pew

Nativity


St. John the Baptist baptizing Jesus

VIII:  Jesus Consoles the Holy Women


Faith, Hope and Charity
Whose Sins You Forgive, They are Forgiven

Heart of Jesus Save Us

St. John the Evangelist

St. Mark the Evangelist

St. Joseph Patron of Families

Immaculate Heart of Mary

St. Matthew the Evangelist

St. Luke the Evangelist

Hail Mary Full of Grace

Praise the Lord


Links:
Website of St. John the Baptist
Pictures from Rome of the West

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful church! Thanks for the report.
    As far as 'Food for the Poor' homilies, I've heard a few myself. After the first one, it was only by distracting myself by counting the number of the times the phrase 'Food for the Poor' was used that I could keep from pulling my hair out. I tried offering it up, but failed miserably.
    Lord have mercy on me a (snarky) sinner...

    ReplyDelete