Thursday, January 30, 2014

Church of the Immaculate Conception - New Madrid, MO

Once upon a time, New Madrid was part of the Archdiocese of St. Louis.  Were it still part of the Archdiocese, it might be a contender for oldest parish.  The new church building was built under Cardinal Ritter.  Now Immaculate Conception is part of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau.

On Monday, January 20, I visited the New Madrid and was so happy to find the door unlocked.  So happy I took pictures :)

Pictures:

Church of the Immaculate Conception


View from the Back Pew
(I was pleasantly surprised given the name on the cornerstone.)
I think the statue to the right of the Crucifix is St. Isidore..as the parish was once called that.

 
Flight into Egypt and the Last Supper
I'm guessing these are pieces from the old high altar.

Station VIII

Ooooo

The History of Immaculate Conception...
The church was set on fire during the Civil War...
I'm curious as to which side...cause in the Bootheel it might be a toss-up...

 
St. Matthew, St. Mark, St. Luke, St. John
Without their symbols, the only one I could ID was St. John.
However, if you read their scrolls, you'll find the first lines of their Gospels...in Latin..
Or you could read the plaque under the window (SCORE!  all churches should do this!)

St. Rose of Lima
St. Agatha (without the plaque I'd have never guessed...except for the pliers..)

 
St. Patrick and St. Louis, King of France

Preaching the in Temple
Baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist

Agony in the Garden, Crucifixion, Resurrection, Ascension

 
Sacred Heart of Jesus
Immaculate Heart of Mary

 
I am the Immaculate Conception

St. Anne and Mary

St. Cecilia


Link:
Immaculate Conception - New Madrid

No comments:

Post a Comment