Sunday, October 24, 2010

St. Martin of Tours

Hello All.  It's been a rough day.  My sister's ferret was put to sleep this morning so I had a change of Mass plans.  I had planned to go to St. Jude but because I was at the vet's office, I had to find a Mass much closer to my house.  Thank goodness for the Archdiocese Website that let's you search by time and location for a Mass :)

I ended up going to St. Martin of Tours as it was the farthest parish I could make it to Mass on time by.  St. Martin of Tours is in Lemay and is a modern church and resembles Holy Redeemer, Holy Name and St. Ann.  The windows represent the 15 Mysteries of the Rosary.

Today was also World Mission Sunday!

The music this morning was accompanied by an electric piano.
The Music:
Opening:  God Has Chosen Me
Offertory:  Hail Mary:  Gentle Woman
Communion:  Change Our Hearts
Recessional:  Sent Forth By God's Blessing
Mass Setting:  Mass of Creation (but the Great Amen was just said)

The sound system at St. Martin of Tours is horrid.  I sat in the back row and couldn't really understand the readings or the Gospel and only heard about a third of Father's homily.  Father was speaking so fast I misunderstood nearly the whole point of the homily.  Father started off talking about the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola and how one of the meditations focused on degrees of humility.  The first degree I didn't hear.  The second degree was praying for humility and the third degree was praying for God's Protection.  (I'm still trying to figure out what he said and what I heard.)  Father then said that God is just and that it was good to be poor in Spirit.  In the Gospel, the Pharisee left God out.  It was all about the Pharisee and not about God.  Then Father started talking about Republicans and how they were sinners and needed God's Mercy.  So I'm alll confused at this point.  Father then went on to the Beatitudes and how Paul was a Pharisee but it is different cause Paul is conceited but thinks God is Good and Great.  We should all pray for spiritual poorness.  So after Mass I ask my social network what Republicans had to do with today's Gospel.  Fr. Leo asked me if Father said Republicans or publicans.  And I'm like what does a British Bartender have to do with the Gospel?  I have since discovered that a publican is also a Jewish tax collector.  The homily now makes sense.  (Thanks Fr. Leo!)

Father used Eucharistic Prayer III and there were bells at the Consecration.  Father motored through Mass.  It was over in 50 minutes.

Pictures:

St. Martin of Tours

View From the Back Pew

The Eighth Station






Attack Goose!!!!
HONK! HONK! HONK!!!
Apparently St. Martin didn't want to become a bishop.
He hid and a goose honked where he was hiding and he was discovered!

Baptismal Font and St. Joseph

The Annunciation

Pentecost



Close Up of Altar
The Window in the back show the Luminous Mysteries

Transfiguration Window
(close-up)

Links:
Website of St. Martin of Tours
Pictures from Rome of the West

PS!  If anyone knows of a Mass being held in a cemetery on Nov 2 for All Souls drop me a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment