Sunday, November 3, 2013

Requiem Prayer Service

Saturday, November 2, was the Feast of All Souls.  I don't know about you, but I love spending my Saturday nights listening to funeral music...  I digress.

The Cathedral of St. Andrew had a requiem prayer service.  A small orchestra and the choir performed Requiem in C by Charles Gounod.  Apparently this was Gounod's last work and he died as he was playing it.  The piece is marked by chromaticism (I know what that means in painting...I think...but not music) and its choice of key signature, C major, reflects the hope and promise of eternal light.  I have to say it didn't seem very hopey.  Although when you are singing about the day of wrath and judgement...

I think I'm missing how a Requiem like this works at a real Mass.  It clearly doesn't work with the current Mass...all that singing by the choir.

The service opened with For All the Saints.  There was an opening prayer, Gospel reading, reading of the names of the dead and a closing hymn, "Around the Throne..."

It was a really nice service and the choir did a really good job.  There was also food afterward :)

The Cathedral of St. Andrew was very pretty but I couldn't help think about how small it was.  I'm pretty sure St. Anthony of Padua or St. Francis de Sales or St. Cecilia would be able to fit this Cathedral of St. Andrew inside them.  Although the Cathedral is pretty tall.

I'll be back to actually go to Mass and take pictures of the windows as it was too dark to get them.  I will say it was odd that the Cathedral doesn't have Mass every day.  I guess I'm really in the South...

Pictures:

Cathedral of St. Andrew

St. Andrew

Doors

View from the Back Pew


Link:
Cathedral of St. Andrew


No comments:

Post a Comment