Thursday, March 11, 2010

Introducing Lost (& Found) Catholicism

Hi all!

As I've been going around to various parishes, I've been thinking about the identity and history of Catholicism in St. Louis.  I've been exploring the current history of Catholicism in St. Louis, but what about the past?  

There used to be 100 (roughly) more parishes in St. Louis.  What happened to them?  I'm incredibly curious.

My curiosity is further piqued while when getting lost looking for one church, I find buildings that just scream "I was a Catholic Church!" and I want to know all about them.

I've also been inspired by two websites:  Ecology of Absence and its blog and Vanishing StL.  These two websites have taken pictures of some previous Catholic Churches, but not all of them.  

The plan is to find St. Louis' lost Catholicism and present it to you. 

2 comments:

  1. Tina,
    I have found almost every church in the Archdiocese that is no longer being used, it took me over a summer to do it but with lots of fun. I would upon finding it go and kneel on the steps and pray a few prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the ones that were demolished? I'm still debating what to do about them.

    ReplyDelete