Sunday, August 8, 2010

St. Francis of Assisi - Luebbering

Happy Feast of St. Dominic (and my birthday!)!  I had hoped to go to a Dominican Liturgy today, but Dominicans are hard to come by here.  Some one suggested I go to a parish that has my name.  Unfortunately, family legend has it I was named after a drink (Tia Maria) needless to say there aren't a great deal of churches named after drinks.  Because Jake has a CT scan tomorrow, I went to everyone's favorite Patron Saint of Animals, St. Francis of Assisi.  I went to the 10 am Mass at St. Francis of Assisi in Luebbering.

St. Francis of Assisi in Luebbering is a small brick church close to the middle of nowhere.  It was kind of cute.  There was a tiny choir loft, but the organ and choir were in the back of church.

Music:
Opening:  Faith of Our Fathers
Offertory:  Be Not Afraid
Communion:  Instrumental CD
Recessional:  How Great Thou Art

Father was quite sick.  He didn't look well at all but was a real trooper and celebrated Mass.  Father's homily focused on how we were bowls of lights; precious but heavy and our task is not to drop the light.  People of Faith are always in exile.  Father talked about Blessed Teresa and then went on to define stewardship as caring.  The Faith we have is a gift.

There were bells and Father used Eucharistic II.  There was a great deal of hand raising at the Our Father.


Pictures:
St. Francis of Assisi - Luebbering


Mary
"Behold Thy Mother"


St. Francis of Assisi and Bell
(Which was rung before Mass)


Infant of Prage
St. Francis of Assisi Painting


View From the Back Pew

Uh Wut?
This was in the Sanctuary.


St. Francis of Assisi Painting
and Ambo


The Eighth Station:
Jesus Consoles the Women


Pelican Window


Lily Window


Ecce Agnus Dei


Harp? window

Eucharistic Window


Cross Window


I'm not sure what this is.
I've seen this symbol before..

Father's Vestments
I can't decide if I like it or not...
It's rather rockin'
Father was also rockin a purply batik clerical shirt.
He wore a really wide white stole over it.


Link:
Information from the Archdiocese

5 comments:

  1. Too late...but what about Aquinas Institute, home of many Dominicans, right near the SLU campus? They probably had a special celebration of some sort. They usually have a Mass on the second Sunday of the month at 10:30 for "Friends of Aquinas." (It may take a summer hiatus.) I love their habits--white tunic with black cappa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still wants to see a Dominican Liturgy. It looks interesting. Where would this Mass be held?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like the next one is Sunday, September 12 at 10:30 in the Aquinas Institute chapel. (Of course, they have Mass every day, but these are specially meant to include visitors.) They're at 23 South Spring, between Laclede and Forest Park, just south of SLU. Details at this link: http://www.ai.edu/news/calendar/?event_id=1192

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would recognize Father's Vestments anywhere - it has to be Fr. Nyman! He's got a great heart - loves God, the Church and our Blessed Mother Mary! Father was in Central America for sometime and the fabric for his vestments was a gift, if I remember correctly.

    Peace & Prayers, especially for all of our Priests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He seemed like a really nice guy. He was really sick though. I thought he was going to pass out at one point.

    I try not to mention the names...because I don't know who's who and to protect the guilty ;)

    I will say the vestments looked handmade. I think they are awesome....

    ReplyDelete